Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cars

It seems that high school boys know all about cars. I don't think my son knew all the cars' models and engines when he was in high school during the 90's. BUT during the 60"s I knew all the cars, by year, model and engine size.
My first vehicle was a motor scooter.... a Vespa. They are still around today... a hit on the college campuses. Scooters could be driven at 14 and many folks had them. They were replaced by Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha mini motorcycles. I never did that route but bought a 1954 Vauxhaul.... a little English Ford. But then as a Jr I bought a 1955 Chevy Two Door Belair Coupe.... white with black and red interior. It was hot! I loved that car with it's 265 cc eight cylinder engine with 3 speed on the floor ( I installed it).  George Woodsby had a yellow 55 Chevy Belair, but his was not a coupe!
Before I bought my Chevy I drove my parent's cars on my dates. Studebaker and Chevy.... big front seats but really family!
Don Roberts had a 60 MGA that he shared with his brother, but for dates, he used his parents Pontiac Catalena. This was a great car that I double in several times and his brother Tom still own it today. Sometimes when I was without date, Don would borrow my 55 Chevy, with the big front seat and give me the MGA since I had no girl to smooch.
Let's see what I remember...
Marian Jackson's folks had a big Plymouth with a 383.
Roland Alston had a small Dodge Dart that hes swore would beat me in quarter mile...( did not show up to race)
John McTamney had a small Simka that he and Adrianne would fold down the front seats all the way.
Don Wilson's family had a hot 1965 Chevy.
John Kelly and I help rebuild a 1954 Jaguar that we took to Pawleys Island. He also had a 1964 Ford with a 406,      4our speed and his dad had a 59 Ford hardtop convertable. Very cool cars.
Tim Gipe had a big Thunderbird and Bruce Thomas a small old white one.
Pete Aynesworth always had VW Bugs
Gary Murphy had a white Dodge convertible... hot!
Lou Ann Busselle had a burgundy Olds 442.   very hot!

I know more but will have to think about this

No comments: